Something so simple, Soup. Yet, leaving you so satisfied. The best part, this soup allows you to get carried away with the added toppings. Savory and comforting will have you craving it the next day.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 cup yellow onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (grated)
- 1 cup carrot (diced)
- 1 small zucchini (diced)
- 2 ears sweet corn cut off the cob, or 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- I can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- I can tomato sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded chicken *time saver pick up a cooked rotisserie chicken, shred the whole of the chicken. Saving or freeze remainder for easy to make meals later in the week. My favorite, easy shredded chicken quesadilla for snack/lunch or add to any favorite salad.
- 5 corn tortillas cut into strips
Place a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil and a tablespoon of butter, Saute onion, garlic, carrot, and corn in olive oil and butter for about 5 minutes.
Stir in spices, allow contents to saute for a few seconds (this allows the dried spices to come to life.)
Add beans (drained/rinsed), tomato sauce, and chicken stock, bring to boil.
Reduce to simmer, place shredded chicken and diced zucchini into soup. Cover and simmer, 10-15 minutes.
Cut a pile of corn tortillas into strips
To a skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter.
Add tortilla strips, allow them to toast to a golden brown before removing from pan.
Add a squeeze of lime juice and salt to taste.
Top strips to your own bowel of soup.
- Cilantro leaves
- Avocado slices
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce